Monday, April 20, 2015

Not Just for Kids: The Land of Nod

Dining Area Before
You may remember from this post that we were planning a small redecoration of our dining area and how we began with some new art from the IKEA Art Event 2015.  Well I am happy to say that we completed the small re-do with an amazing rug and pendant lamp from The Land of Nod.  Yup, that's right, targeted at your kid's room The Land of Nod.  But you know what? I never understood why their furniture and decor were supposed to be just for the small set.  In fact, of all the items we have bought there (which admittedly aren't many, since prices are kind of high, even though quality is amazing) only one is used by our son. Maybe we are kids at heart, of maybe The Land of Nod is really just a purveyor of happy modern goods for the entire family. So without further ado, here is the new setup.


What do you think? OK, so not drastic, but sometimes small calculated changes can make quite the difference. While I used to describe my interior style as Modern Ethnic, for the past year I have seriously been veering towards a Mid Century Scandinavian aesthetic.  I can't get enough of black, white, grey, and neutral tones with pops of color.  Maybe it is my lifelong love of IKEA (a post on that soon) or my obsession with blogs like My Scandinavian Home, Time of the Aquarius, and That Nordic Feeling. Either way, I can't help but be drawn to the happy modern minimalism of the north.



We couldn't be happier with the change.  The rug is the 88-Key Rug in Gray (on sale!) and is heaven on our feet. We did add some plastic matting to the area under our son's seat though, to protect the rug from his constant spills (something I wish we had done with the last rug). So far, so good. The light is the Charm Pendant, and is one of the few pieces that my husband and I agreed on instantly. He particularly likes how it has a lighter presence in the room overall. I love how after almost nine years we finally have the hole to the light box in the ceiling covered up.  Here is how the top of the old fixture looked. Yikes!  
And here it is now. Ahhh, so much better.

For those who care, the tablecloth is from H&M.  I'm sure we will still use the old blue one too though, which is really just some plastic coated fabric from IKEA, since we need to use place mats on top of the new one.

Now all that is left to do is enjoy our new space with a nice espresso.








No comments:

Post a Comment